Ringette Fast Facts
Did you know.. ?
- Ringette is a Canadian invention
- Ringette was invented in 1963, in North Bay, Ontario by Sam Jacks, the same person who introduced floor hockey to the world (1936)
- Canada-wide there are currently over 25,000 thousand registered players on over 2000 teams.
- There are over 2,400 ringette officials registered in Canada
- over 6,500 men and women coach ringette across Canada
- Although Ringette is predominantly played by females, over 600 males also participate across the country.
- Ringette is played world-wide in countries including Finland, Sweden, the United States, Japan, Australia, Germany, New Zealand, France, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic – and the sport continues to grow.
- Since 1990 a world ringette championship has been held every year
- Canada and Finland hold the record number of championships
- There is a ringette Hall of Fame recognizing outstanding achievement in the sport and contributions to its development
- The Canada Winter Games have hosted a ringette tournament since 1991
- Since 1971 a Canadian ringette championship has taken place across the country